A backstage report has revealed the real reason why there have been so many WWE name changes in recent weeks.
In January, fans took to social media to criticise WWE for changing former NXT UK Champion WALTER’s ring name to Gunther.
Since then, WWE has changed the names of numerous notable stars, with Pete Dunne arrived on the WWE main roster as Butch, and Raquel Gonzalez and Marcel Barthel making their SmackDown debuts as Raquel Rodriguez and Ludwig Kaiser respectively.
Per Dave Meltzer in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, talent have been informed that Vince McMahon doesn’t want performers using their real names, or names used prior to signing with WWE.
This appears to count for individual names, as Raquel Rodriguez’ real name is Victoria Gonzalez, so had to drop her shoot surname. It was pointed out that Theory dropped his ‘Austin’ forename because his birth name was Austin White.
The report noted that the memo only applies to those who WWE decided it applies to, with the likes of Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar and Ronda Rousey most likely keeping their names.
You can check out a list of every WWE name change of 2022 right here.
- AEW Star Announces 2023 Will Be Their Last Year Wrestling
- Discussions For Shocking Star To Be Undertaker’s Son In WWE
- Seth Rollins Pays Tribute To Brodie Lee At WWE Live Event In Rochester (Video)
- Huge Update On William Regal WWE Return
- Kurt Angle Reveals Major WWE Star Wanted To Join TNA
- Triple H Was ‘Very Unhappy’ With Popular Star’s WWE Release
- Here Is When Tegan Nox’s WWE Return Was Finalised
- Major Celebrity Says ‘Lets Do It’ To WWE Match Against The Paul Brothers
- AEW Star Recalls Heartwarming ‘WrestleMania Moment’ With Kevin Owens
- Edge Heaps Praise On Three Top AEW Stars