An IMPACT Wrestling star was banned from entering the United States in 2016 due to not having the correct working visa.
The impact on “Speedball” Mike Bailey’s career meant that he wasn’t able to get seen by the people who could shape his career.
Speaking on Insight with Chris Van Vliet, Bailey reflected on the plan and the aftermath of the ban, saying:
“The plan at the time was, you know, I am finally wrestling in front of people [in the United States] that could make decisions and could change my career.
“If you look at everyone that was on those PWG [Pro Wrestling Guerrilla] shows with me in that period, most of them went to ‘NXT’ or New Japan, or are now in AEW.
“So to go from the realization that that’s not going to happen for you, at least not for five years, is, of course, very difficult to deal with.”
Bailey wouldn’t abandon his dreams of success just because he was banned from the United States.
He would regularly perform for wrestling companies in Canada, Japan, Europe and the United Kingdom.
When the ban ended, he would sign a contract with Impact Wrestling.
He made his debut in January 2022 at Hard to Kill and has since become the Impact X Division Champion.
Transcript from Wrestling Inc.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Big Update On FTR Future
- Bray Wyatt SmackDown Status Amid WrestleMania Uncertainty
- AEW Star Teases WWE Return?
- WWE Star Reacts To Fans Believing They’d Be Buried Following Vince McMahon Departure
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Cody Rhodes Reveals Special WrestleMania 39 T-Shirt
- Mercedes Moné Hints At Potential Unfinished Business in WWE
- Top WWE Star Hopes To Work With AEW Star On Screen
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?