Following the recent departure of Brian Pillman Jr from AEW, a legendary name has weighed in with his own opinion on why the second-generation star’s time in the company didn’t pan out.
Speaking on his Grilling JR podcast, AEW commentator Jim Ross discussed Pillman’s contract coming to an end just recently, ending his association with the company he debuted for back at the first ever Double Or Nothing in May 2019.
While the news was a surprise to some, it wasn’t as much of one for RJR, as he feels it wasn’t working out for the 29-year-old in AEW anymore.
“It wasn’t working.
“He’s not losing any ring time. He’ll have plenty of opportunities. He’s just gotta structure his journey and be smart about the decisions that he makes and get all the in-ring time that he can.
“Wrestle as many matches as he can schedule. So, he’s gonna be fine, just gotta have his plan and work it.
“His career took a minor tumble, but not one that you can’t get up from. So, I have a lot of confidence he’s gonna end up very successful in wrestling.”
News of Pillman’s departure came on Tuesday July 11, with his final match in the company coming at an AEW House Rules on May 13, tagging with Brock Anderson in a loss to Austin and Colten Gunn.
He hadn’t wrestled on Rampage since February, or on Dynamite since way back in August 2022.
PWInsider noted in their report of the news that the ‘door remains open’ for AEW and Pillman to work together again in the future, so perhaps this isn’t the last we see of him in an AEW ring.
Transcript courtesy of Inside The Ropes
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Update On Former WWE Stars Signing New WWE Deals
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- WWE Legend Shares Heartfelt Message For Dolph Ziggler After Release
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- AEW’s Saraya Says Ring Gear Collection Has Gone Missing
- Popular AEW Star Stepping Away From Indie Wrestling
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE