AEW EVP Kenny Omega has challenged a top NJPW star to a match at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17.
During the post-Full Gear media scrum, AEW President Tony Khan stated that he is optimistic that AEW will have a presence at the January 4 event, but noted that he’s not sending any top stars, pointing out that Wrestle Kingdom 17 clashes with the first AEW Dynamite of 2023.
Well, scratch that, it was just one big Tony Con.
During the NJPW X STARDOM Historic X-Over show, Will Ospreay defeated Shota Umino to retain his IWGP US Championship.
Following the bout, the lights went out, before former IWGP Heavyweight and AEW World titleholder Kenny Omega made a virtual appearance.
In his vignette, Kenny Omega called Ospreay an Omega knock-off, stating that he failed at replacing him after his NJPW departure in 2019.
Omega issued a challenge to Ospreay for Wrestle Kingdom 17, which Ospreay accepted.
As of writing, NJPW has yet to officially confirm that the match will take place.
Kenny Omega last wrestled for NJPW at Wrestle Kingdom 13 in January 2019, losing the IWGP Heavyweight Title to Hiroshi Tanahashi, before forming AEW with Cody Rhodes, the Young Bucks and Tony Khan.
NJPW has shared the vignette on social media, which you can watch below:
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) November 20, 2022
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Backstage Issues In AEW Potentially Led To William Regal’s WWE Return
- Triple H Was ‘Very Unhappy’ With Popular Star’s WWE Release
- AEW Star Speaks Out On William Regal Departure
- Top WWE Star Misses Working With Kenny Omega
- Sami Zayn Explains How Real-Life Friendship With The Usos Influenced WWE Bloodline Storyline
- Barry Windham Suffers Heart Attack, Currently In ICU
- Here’s What Triple H ‘Almost Never Mentioned’ In Creative Meetings
- New Changes, Additions & Plans For WWE 2K23 Potentially Revealed
- Huge Tease For The Rock Vs Roman Reigns At WrestleMania 39
- Sami Zayn Names AEW Stars He Wants To Face