AEW star Matt Menard of the Jericho Appreciation Society has confirmed that he was hurt during the June 29 Blood & Guts match.
The team of the Blackpool Combat Club, Eddie Kingston, Santana & Ortiz defeated the Jericho Appreciation Society in AEW’s second ever Blood & Guts bout.
In a video shared by JOFO In The Ring, Menard noted that he picked up shoulder injuries during the contest, tearing his labrum and rotator cuff.
Noting that he doesn’t expect to need surgery, Menard said:
“June 29, Detroit, Michigan, Blood & Guts, big cage match. Two rings. Hell of an ordeal. Very early on in that match, I kind of get dumped on my head by Santana. It wasn’t pretty. Ended up actually, tearing parts of my shoulder, my labrum, my rotator cuff. If you’re wondering, ‘Geez, Daddy Magic, early on in the match.
“Didn’t you climb to the top of the cage to save Chris Jericho? Did you climb to the top of the cage to save Chris Jericho with a torn shoulder, with your shoulder torn to shreds?’ The answer is yes. I’m basically a hero. The good news here, is that it doesn’t look like it’s going to require surgery.
“We’re rehabbing it, injected some stem cells into the shoulder. The bad news is I will not be able to participate in the event for the IWS.”
A number of AEW stars are currently out injured, with Adam Cole and Dax Harwood notably also dealing with torn labrum injuries.
You can view a list of every injured AEW star and their expected return dates at this link.
Transcription via Fightful.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- CM Punk Responds To AEW Return Announcement
- Update On Cody Rhodes Upcoming SmackDown Appearance
- Alexa Bliss Reveals In-Ring Return Preparations Prior To Pregnancy
- Former WWE Star Reveals ‘Hypnosis’ Storyline Pitch To End Comedy Character
- Top Star Explains Why He Didn’t Sign With WWE
- AEW Rampage Spoilers For Friday June 2, 2023
- WWE Raw Star Shares Update On In-Ring Future
- WWE Name Opens Up About Losing Confidence, Names Stars Who Helped Him
- Absent WWE Star Still In Contact With Vince McMahon & Other Higher-Ups
- WWE Star Spotted Training With Top Japanese Star