Former SmackDown Women’s Champion Naomi was inactive in WWE from July 2019 through to January 2020 due to taking time off for personal reasons.
She was a recent guest on Lilian Garcia’s podcast, during which she opened up about her time away and how WWE reacted to her requesting time off.
“I was just feeling really exhausted, and really tired. I didn’t know what was going on. I was doing everything right; eating right, training, like, killing myself in the gym, and doing all of those things. But then, I noticed that I didn’t have any energy. Like, I was about to pass out… I went to the doctor and found out that I was severely anemic. I didn’t know that. I was completely vitamin D deficient. I also had a stomach ulcer. I was like ‘whoa’, I haven’t been taking care of myself as much as I thought.
“Then, my cousin passed away while in labor. She had seven kids. She was like a sister to me. We were the same age. We grew up together. We spent our whole life together. She was an amazing mother. She was the most beautiful person. We were super excited and happy (she was having a baby). The baby came home and survived, but she didn’t. She is no longer here. My family and I had to come together and figure out what was best for the kids. Our family is raising her babies, so, I just couldn’t go back to work. I couldn’t function. I had to grieve, and I had to mourn.
“Also, on top of that, my husband [Jimmy Uso] was dealing with his own troubles. In a marriage, it ain’t no him and me. If he’s messed up, and he’s struggling, I am. If he ain’t good, I’m not good.”
Speaking about how WWE reacted to her requesting time away, which was the first time in her 10-year career she had done so, she added:
“[They] were 100 percent supportive. There was no question about it. That’s something I’m also grateful for – that the company does support us through everything. They were like ‘Do you need this? We have this outlet for you. Do you need this? Do you want that? You know, we’re here for you.'”
Thanks to Wrestling Inc for the transcription
- ‘Free Agent’ WWE Star Set For First NXT Match In Seven Years
- Seth Rollins Teases “Forbidden Door” Dream Match With Top Star?
- Top WWE Star’s Hilarious Response To Ronda Rousey ‘Demanding’ Rumours
- WWE Announces Partnership With Twitch To ‘Sidecast’ Raw & More
- AEW Star Compares Orange Cassidy To WWE’s Legendary Undertaker
- Report: Date For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar III Confirmed
- Spoiler On Popular AEW Name Announced For New ROH Board Of Directors
- AEW Star Says He’s Been Dealing With Torn Triceps, But Now He’s Back
- Report: WWE Hall Of Famer ‘Adamantly’ Rejected Involvement In Current Star’s Storyline
- WWE Star’s First Match In Nine Months Announced