Former IWGP Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi has announced that he has renewed his deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
On Twitter, Tanahashi shared a photo of himself holding his official NJPW papers, writing:
“We have renewed (my wrestlers) contract with New Japan Pro-Wrestling. I will do my best. #njpw”
(Translated from Japanese)
— 棚橋 弘至 (@tanahashi1_100) January 14, 2022
Tanahashi, still considered the Ace of NJPW by many, first debuted for the company in October 1999 after graduating from the NJPW Dojo. Tanahashi went on to become a Grand Slam champion, winning the IWGP Heavyweight Title on eight separate occasions.
The Ace currently holds the IWGP US Championship, defeating KENTA for the gold at Wrestle Kingdom 16. He is set to defend the title against SANADA during the upcoming Golden Series tour.
Tanahashi has teased his arrival in AEW in a number of occassions, originally coining the now-popular phrase ‘forbidden door’ during his rivalry with Chris Jericho ahead of Wrestle Kingdom 14 in 2020. The Ace could still potentially make an appearance in AEW in the future, with Tony Khan recently confirming that he intends to maintain AEW’s international partnerships.
- Former WWE Star Banned From Sting’s AEW Retirement Match
- WWE Sets Up Jey Uso Vs. Jimmy Uso For WrestleMania 40
- Former WWE Star Alleges Incident ‘Worse’ Than Recent Vince McMahon Lawsuit
- Cody Rhodes Breaks Silence After Bloodline Attack On WWE Raw
- Jade Cargill Pulled From Big WWE Match
- Two NXT Stars Spotted At WWE Raw
- ‘Massive Issue’ Caused By New Policy For Sasha Banks/Mercedes Mone AEW Debut Show
- WWE Name Change For Former AEW Star
- Untelevised Footage Of CM Punk Comments After WWE Raw Went Off Air
- WWE Star Returns After Three Month Absence