WWE
A former WWE star has shared an update on his in-ring future after being released by the company back in April.
On April 24, Santos Escobar, along with over 20 other superstars across Raw, NXT and SmackDown were released from their contracts.
As is custom for released WWE main roster talent, a 90-day non-compete period was served by the released talent before they hit the free agent market, and several have wasted no time in returning to action outside of WWE.
Joe Gacy (Joseph Sawyer) recently won the GCW World Championship, Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) have already signed with AEW, and Aleister Black & Zelina Vega (Malakai Black & Xelina) have been announced for some of PROGRESS Wrestling’s September shows in the UK.
One star that has not yet revealed their next move however is Santos Escobar, who is now going under the name Romeo Malverde.
Malverde last wrestled in WWE AAA back in March, but was sidelined due to a triceps injury before being cut from his contract on April 24.
With the former NXT Cruiserweight Champion showing off his physical transformation on social media recently, naturally there are questions regarding where he may land as a free agent, and speaking to TMZ Inside The Ring, Malverede addressed his plans.
Citing his past tendency to rush into his career moves, Malverde said he’s focused on taking things slow, but ensured he’d be putting “everything” into whatever he does going forward.
Malverde said:
“After a very long time of taking things, in a rush, like trying to, ‘Oh, I just left this place, I got to go to that place, or I just did this, I got to do that.’ This time is different. This time I’m taking my time.
“I will take bookings: Malverdebookings@gmail.com, that’s where you can contact me for, you know, limited dates in the quote unquote independent circuit. And my team is getting ready for whatever’s next.
“I can’t really say what my in-ring future looks like because I don’t know. I think if there’s anything I’ve learned in the past year and a half is I can’t say what’s coming. It doesn’t matter what the vibe is.
“I don’t know what’s coming. But I can tell you this, this I can tell you 100 percent, I’m 100 percent sure of it: I will do it with my heart. I’ll give you everything. You will get the best myself, the best version. That I can tell you because I’m whole, I’m complete and I’m ready.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
Malverde was only seven months removed from signing a new contract with WWE when he was cut from his contract in April, with the former Legado del Fantasma leader previously exiting the company of his own volition in October last year, only to be re-signed within 24 hours of departing.
During the same interview, Malverde detailed his conversation with Nick Khan which led to his re-signing – click here for full details.
To make sure you stay up to date with all the biggest wrestling and WrestleTalk news, follow us on Threads by clicking this link!
Trending
- Report: More WWE Main Roster Contracts Expiring After Ilja Dragunov Departure
- WWE Star Legitimately Injured
- WWE Planning Major Roman Reigns Match
- Absent WWE Star ‘Very Close’ To Making Return
- Debut Match Confirmed For WWE SmackDown
- Ilja Dragunov WWE Departure Reason Revealed
- Former WWE Star Details Nick Khan Conversation Before Re-Signing: ‘He Apologized For The Way They Had Treated My Character’
- WWE Files Trademark On Current Star’s Ring Name
- ‘So Many People Told Me You Will Never Be Out Of A Job’ – Former Champion Wasn’t Expecting WWE Release Earlier This Year
- Current Champion Teases Shaving Head For Ilja Dragunov Match Outside WWE