WWE
A former WWE star has detailed a conversation with Nick Khan before re-signing with the company on new terms last year.
Back in April, Santos Escobar was named as one of over two dozen names who had been let go by WWE in their post WrestleMania 42 talent cuts.
While not the only surprising talent departure of that group, Escobar’s exit was especially unexpected given that, only seven months earlier, he had opted to exit WWE at the end of his contract, only for WWE to re-sign him on new and improved terms within 24 hours.
Despite many expecting Escobar to receive a big push as a result of his new deal, he instead only appeared in AAA after re-signing, before suffering a tricep injury in March and being let go from his contract one month later.
Speaking with TMZ Inside The Ring, Escobar revealed he received the call about his release as he underwent physiotherapy for his injury:
“That day was one of the worst days I could have had in my career… Six days or so after my surgery, I’m doing therapy every day because I have to fly to Mexico and start this TV project which, I’m already stressed because of that you know? And then I was told no, don’t come to do therapy, which really worried me cos I needed that. Don’t come, there’s been a situation and everything’s closed.
“Stupid old me I said ‘You guys needed any help? Can I come help?’ ‘No, don’t come.’ And then when I hung up I was like ‘Oh, that’s weird,’ but anyways I need my therapy so I started looking around in the city here in Orlando to find another place where I could get my therapy because I was flying to Mexico on Monday.
“I found a place cos my son had broken his leg playing baseball a few months back, so I knew a place where they could help me just that day, Friday, and be ready for my trip to Mexico where I was going to train at the UFC Performance Center, which was then part of the consortium.
“Anyways, I found a place and while I’m doing my therapy I get the call. And I remember vividly I had this hand (left) in a bucket of rice and was doing my grips, the other one I was on the phone.”
Escobar then detailed his re-signing with WWE back in October, and now he received a phone call personally from WWE President Nick Khan:
“If you remember, I let my contract expire in October. I was ready to part ways and see what was out there. Nick Khan called me, himself, he apologized for the way they had treated my character, not myself, my character. And he said ‘We’re going to do it right, we’re going to do things right. I want to give you anything you need to thrive, to prosper and I’ll sit down with Triple H. We’ll get things squared and we’ll get going.’
“And that’s the reason I re-signed back then. So, I had no reason to believe this was going to end any time soon, I hadn’t even started my run… I was a free agent at midnight and I got the call the next day I think around 1 or 2pm. They wanted me back, so I had no reason to believe this was coming.”
Circling back to receiving the call about his April WWE release, Escobar said:
“I told them ‘Please talk to my attorney, and that was it.’ I don’t think those phone calls are to plead any case, I don’t think those phone calls are to make them change their mind. I was really focused on my injury… And I wasn’t really thinking about anything else.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
While he’s yet to make a move as a free agent, Escobar sent a message to Triple H and Nick Khan ahead of the July expiry of his 90-day non-compete period, telling his former WWE bosses to “watch him.”
Escobar has also rebranded himself as Romeo Malverde for his post-WWE run, providing a fresh start for the former El Hijo del Fantasma.
To make sure you stay up to date with all the biggest wrestling and WrestleTalk news, follow us on Threads by clicking this link!
Trending
- WWE Star Departure Confirmed
- Report: More WWE Main Roster Contracts Expiring After Ilja Dragunov Departure
- WWE Star Legitimately Injured
- WWE Planning Major Roman Reigns Match
- Paul Heyman Backstage WWE Role Update
- Absent WWE Star ‘Very Close’ To Making Return
- Debut Match Confirmed For WWE SmackDown
- WWE Files Trademark On Current Star’s Ring Name
- The Miz Recalls Conversation With Bryan Danielson Ahead Of WWE Talking Smack Confrontation
- WWE Files To Trademark Ring Name