An AEW star is hopeful to attract new fans to AEW by showcasing a different side of what it means to be a professional wrestler.
In an interview with Fightful, Darby Allin explained one inspiration for his wrestling character is to be able to connect with a variety of fans.
“Dude, to me, that’s the biggest thing that’s important. Because when I was growing up, there wasn’t a lot of wrestlers I felt like I could relate to outside the ring. I was like, ‘Man, who could I see myself hanging out with?’ I’m like, ‘I don’t know. I see myself hanging out with skateboarders or punk rockers,’ stuff like that. Then to be given the opportunity to just let me be me inside the ring and outside the ring, I felt like I could connect to a lot more people.
There’ s a lot of action sports fans like skateboarders or motocross kids that haven’t given wrestling a chance, then they see me hanging out with a Tony Hawk or a Travis Pastrana and then go, ‘Alright. What is this wrestling guy all about?’ Then they see me jumping off a huge ass ladder onto Jeff Hardy and they go, ‘Oh, alright, this is pretty awesome.’ So that’s my whole thing. I’ve talked to guys like Travis Pastrana about that. He’s like, ‘I’ve never watched wrestling, but when you started coming over to my house, I started watching what you do. Man, that’s insane.’“
Going on to add that one of his goals for being in the company is to attract attention from people outside of wrestling to give AEW a shot, saying:
“That’s my thing, to attract as much outside wrestling fans who haven’t given it the opportunity yet to even watch it. If they give AEW an opportunity, I think they’re gonna see something they’ll like. That’s what’s cool about what AEW gives me. Inside the ring and outside the ring. No other company is gonna let me be me. Period. Nobody’s gonna let me skate with Tony Hawk or jump my house with Travis Pastrana or even climb Mount Everest. Nobody’s letting me do that.”
Darby Allin is set for a huge match on this week’s upcoming AEW Dynamite, teaming with Sting, Orange Cassidy and Keith Lee against Mogul Embassy (Gates of Agony, Brian Cage and Swerve Strickland).
You can keep up with all the latest news from AEW by clicking this link.
Transcription via Fightful
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- WWE Star Claims He Was Released Due To ‘Backstage Political Power Play’
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE
- WWE Talent Gets New Ring Name