Dave Meltzer has awarded a 5.5 star rating to a recent NJPW G1 Climax tournament match.
On August 6, Will Ospreay faced off against Shingo Takagi in D-block action. Takagi was ultimately victorious, pinning Ospreay in just under 22 minutes to claim the two points.
In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Meltzer praised the bout for its storytelling, calling it ‘next level stuff’.
This marks the fifth time Ospreay and Takagi have earned a 5+ star rating for a singles match against each other, with the duo awarded 5.75 stars for their G1 Climax 2019 bout, 5 stars for their G1 Climax 2020 contest, 5.5 stars for their New Japan Cup 2021 match and 6 for their IWGP World Heavyweight Championship bout at Wrestling Dontaku 2021.
6 stars to 5.5? They’re slipping…
Following G1 Climax Night 15 on August 10, David Finlay and Yujiro Takahashi currently lead the D block with 6 points each. Takagi and Ospreay both have 4 points respectively.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- WWE Raw Star Moved Back To NXT, Reforms Tag Team
- Update On Whether Jungle Boy Has Officially Undergone Name Change
- The Incredible Story Of Deaf WWE NXT Wrestler Myles Borne
- Thunder Rosa Comments On Saraya’s AEW Debut
- Saraya Teases Match With Popular AEW Star
- Bianca Belair Appears As ESPN College Game Day Guest Picker
- Update On When Elias Will Return To WWE Television
- Darby Allin Gets Stitches Following AEW Rampage Grand Slam (Photo)
- WWE Raw Star Explains What Triple H Tells WWE Stars Before They Go Out
- The Hilarious Reason Teddy Long Is Trending On Twitter