It has been revealed that Drew McIntyre wanted to wrestle in the scheduled championship match which he has been medically disqualified from.
The Usos successfully defended their Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship during the December 5 episode of Raw against Kevin Owens (who replaced Elias) and Matt Riddle.
The winners of that match were originally planned to defend against Sheamus and Drew McIntyre on the December 9 edition of SmackDown.
Drew McIntyre shared on Twitter that he is medically disqualified from competing so will no longer feature in the match.
According to Dave Meltzer, the decision doesn’t seem to have been made by McIntyre as he wanted to compete.
On the latest Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said:
“He is injured. I was told an injury, but it’s not from a firsthand source. But he’s supposed to be back for the Christmas show. So it’s only a couple of weeks, I know that.
“The only thing I know is that he wanted to wrestle and they would not let him wrestle.
“But it’s not like it’s going to be a long-term thing, at least as it stands right now.
“But yes, he was basically medically pulled from Friday’s show and Butch will team with Sheamus against the Usos for the tag team title.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it, please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
McIntyre’s replacement, Butch, was announced by WWE later.
WWE has not commented on the nature of McIntyre’s injury.
As previously reported, Drew McIntyre has had a gruelling work schedule of late.
WWE staff were said to be impressed with McIntyre’s commitment.
WrestleTalk.com will keep you updated as details emerge and we wish McIntyre a safe and healthy recovery.
Unfortunately I am medically disqualified to compete this Friday on #Smackdown
I don’t like to miss any shows as everybody knows but I promise I’ll be back soon
— Drew McIntyre (@DMcIntyreWWE) December 5, 2022
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Sami Zayn Vs. Roman Reigns Plans Revealed After Royal Rumble
- Video: What Happened With Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens After WWE Royal Rumble?
- WWE Bringing Back Classic Title Belt Design?
- SPOILER: WWE Star Set For Return On Tonight’s January 30 Raw
- Update On Kenny Omega’s Health
- Where Was The Rock During WWE Royal Rumble?
- Former Women’s Champion ‘So Down’ For Intercontinental Title Shot
- Photo: WWE Star Shows Off Gruesome Royal Rumble Injury
- AEW Star Reacts To WWE Royal Rumble Backstage Photo
- Sami Zayn Discusses Triple H Contributions To Bloodline Storyline