Edge has explained the origins of his WWE ring name.
The Rated R Superstar is a 11-time world champion, five-time Intercontinental Champion and WWE Hall of Famer.
Edge’s impact on the industry is unquestionable, working his way from the tag team division all the way to the main event scene.
Speaking with Fox News, the WWE Hall of Famer revealed the origins of his ring name.
“I actually came up with Edge. I would have preferred Adam Copeland, but that wasn’t the way it really worked [in that era], right?”
The inspiration for the name came from an unlikely source with the legendary star saying:
“Don Callis and I were driving, and the radio station, it was in Albany, and it was ‘Edge 1-0-something,’ and growing up in Toronto, Edge 102 was always one of my favorite stations. I was like, ‘Hmm, that has a bit of a rock ‘n’ roll feel to it, Edge.’ They were tossing around names like Rage, Riot, and you know, it was the late ’90s, right? I just thought, ‘Edge, I’ll throw that out there.’ At least that’s something I could relate to a little bit better. And it stuck.”
Edge will face Damian Priest in his hometown of Toronto on the August 22 edition of WWE Raw.
Keep track of Edge’s win-loss record (for televised matches) at this link.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- WWE Announces Signing Of Former AEW Star Jade Cargill
- Triple H Comments On Jade Cargill Signing With WWE
- AEW Star Sends Message To Jade Cargill After Signing With WWE
- Tony Khan Comments On Jade Cargill After WWE Signing
- Jade Cargill Comments On Officially Becoming A WWE Star
- Update On Free Agent Rumored To Join WWE Or AEW
- TV Show Featuring CM Punk Canceled
- Mustafa Ali’s Replacement Against Dominik Mysterio At NXT No Mercy Revealed
- Top AEW Star Is Happy Being ‘Guinea Pig’ For ‘Crazy Stuff’
- Tony Khan Addresses NJPW Acquisition Rumors