WWE Intercontinental Champion Gunther has commented on his weight loss, explaining why he chose to change up his physique.
Speaking with Sports Illustrated, Gunther addressed speculation, stating that nobody in WWE told him to drop pounds.
Noting that his former Imperium stablemates helped to keep him motivated, Gunther said:
“I was a big fan of the look I had. I loved the foreign heavyweights that would go to Japan and beat up the babyfaces. And I had success. But if I stay stagnant, I’ll fall behind. I always want to be one step ahead.
“No one ever told me to lose weight. I knew the transition to the main roster was happening, so I wanted to transform into something new.
“When we moved to Orlando, Marcel (Ludwig Kaiser) and Fabian (Aichner) (Giovanni Vinci) were a great support. They’re both in tremendous shape, and we created a motivating and productive environment.
“I see the pictures of the comparisons, and I’m proud of it, but I’m still me,” Gunther says. “I never had cardio issues before. I always felt very comfortable, so it doesn’t feel that drastic to me. Maybe it does when you look at pictures.”
Gunther is currently aligned with Ludwig Kaiser on SmackDown. The former Fabian Aichner is still on the NXT roster, but was repackaged as Giovanni Vinci.
Gunther’s most recent televised match took place on the July 4 edition of Raw, with the former NXT UK Champion defeating R-Truth in singles action.
Stay up to date with WWE win/loss records for 2022 using our tracker at this link.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- WWE Ends 36-Year Tradition
- Major Bryan Danielson Update Following AEW Collision Injury Scare
- WWE Star Ruled Out For 8-12 Months With Legitimate Injury
- 14 New WWE Signings Confirmed
- Popular AEW Star Nearing Return After Over A Year Away?
- Rhea Ripley & Other Stars React To Incredible Moment At WWE Event
- AEW Star Returns After Eight Months Off TV
- Video Footage Of Brock Lesnar’s Daughter Shattering Records For Shot Put
- Potential New Member Of Christian Cage’s AEW Faction Revealed?
- AEW Champion Attacked Backstage, Unable To Compete