Hangman Adam Page has opened up about the pressures he faced as AEW World Champion, including what he considers “a bit of a failure.”
Speaking to WrestlingInc, Hangman Adam Page has opened up about the pressures he faced as AEW World Champion and the expectation that becoming champion would create a “perfect version” of himself.
Chatting about the experience of being the top champion in All Elite Wrestling, Hangman said:
“I never realized the pressure of being world champion and that might seem to someone watching, like, ‘Oh, you defended it once every three or four weeks, how hard could that be’? I don’t know that I handled [the pressure] of anyone who’s ever handled it, but it’s my first time. I think it made me, you know, a better person, a better wrestler.
Page shared more specifically about having time to continue to cultivate his personal locker room relationships during his championship reign, saying:
“I let [the pressure] get to me more than I thought I would. I thought I would win the championship and I would be happy, that I would be the perfect version of myself, and I wasn’t, either. It’s not like I didn’t talk to [the Dark Order] every single week, because I did. But you know, maybe sometimes I was too busy or stressed to do those BTE bits every week. I let that pressure, I guess a friendship, a lot of friendships and I guess that’s, you know, the cynic in me wants to say that’s something that maybe comes with being champion, but I think as a personal thing, maybe that’s a bit of a failure or something to work on.”
Hangman Adam Page has the opportunity to seize another championship opportunity this Sunday on pay-per-view when he takes on Adam Cole, Kazuchika Okada and IWGP Champion Jay White for the aforementioned title.
You can find out all of the match card details for AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door by clicking here.
Transcription via WrestlingInc.
- Another AEW Star Clears Twitter Amid Contract Expiry Speculation
- Backstage Details On AEW Stars Appearing On Raw, Jon Moxley Injury Update, Vince McMahon Allegations – Audio News Bulletin – June 28, 2022
- Fans Speculate AEW Star’s Contract Has Expired Following Cryptic Tweet
- Kevin Owens Misses WWE Raw Due To ‘Minor Situation’
- Luke Owen Reviews WWE Raw – June 27, 2022
- AEW Star Jake Atlas Domestic Violence Case Dropped
- Cody Rhodes Appears On June 27 WWE Raw
- Latest On Sasha Banks & Naomi WWE Statuses
- Jon Moxley Clarifies Injury Status After Forbidden Door
- Dax Harwood Confirms Injury Following Forbidden Door