Here is the latest update on the injury to NXT’s Io Shirai, notably the type of injury and how long it’ll keep her out of action for.
It was reported over the weekend that Shirai was injured and would be out for two months, but the exact type of injury was unknown at the time.
In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer provides an update, writing:
Shirai suffered a knee injury catching Toni Storm on a dive on the 1/22 NXT show. She doesn’t need major surgery and right now the recovery time looks to be two months based on an estimate a few days ago.
Shirai last competed on the January 22 episode of NXT, where she was defeated by Toni Storm by disqualification due to Bianca Belair interfering and attacking Storm. This was the match she suffered the injury.
The week prior to that, Shirai was the runner-up in a number one contender’s battle royal, which was won by Belair to earn an NXT Championship match at TakeOver: Portland.
There have been reports recently that STARDOM is interested in bringing Shirai back to the promotion, coupled with suggestions that she is currently unhappy in WWE.
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- PHOTO: New WWE Undisputed Universal Championship Belt Revealed
- Seth Rollins’ First World Heavyweight Championship Defence Confirmed For June 5 WWE Raw
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence