UPDATE: WWE has now issued an official statement on the situation, which you can read at this link.
WWE was forced to change the planned main event of tonight’s (May 16) Raw show, after Women’s Tag Team Champions Sasha Banks and Naomi walked out of the taping.
The announced main event was to see Becky Lynch, Asuka, Nikki ASH, Doudrop, Sasha Banks and Naomi face off in a six pack challenge, with the winner earning a Raw Women’s Championship opportunity against Bianca Belair at Hell In A Cell.
However, early into the show, Becky Lynch spoke to Adam Pearce, telling him that Sasha and Naomi had gone home, and the main event was changed to simply Becky Lynch vs Asuka.
Per PWInsider, Sasha and Naomi walking out was not an angle, as the word making the rounds backstage at the taping is that Sasha took issue with some of the planned creative for the original main event.
Banks reportedly had a meeting with Vince McMahon, and the belief is that when McMahon didn’t choose to change direction on the plans, Banks made the decision to leave the taping, with Naomi leaving with Banks.
In an update from Fightful Select (subscription required), Naomi was the one originally planned to win the match.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Partnership With Twitch To ‘Sidecast’ Raw & More
- AEW Star Compares Orange Cassidy To WWE’s Legendary Undertaker
- Report: WWE Hall Of Famer ‘Adamantly’ Rejected Involvement In Current Star’s Storyline
- WWE Faction To Receive New Name
- Report: Date For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar III Confirmed
- Bianca Belair’s Hilarious Response To Bizarre Asuka WWE Trend
- WWE Tag Team Set For Match Against Each Other?
- Top WWE Star Reportedly Set To Face GUNTHER On June 5 Raw
- AEW Star Questions Crowd Reactions To CM Punk Ahead Of ‘Big Deal’ Return
- Absent AEW Star Rejected Recent Return Plans