When WWE officially became a PG product back in 2008, a lot of changes had to be made to the on-screen product, which included numerous changes to vocabulary.
Former WWE writer Brian Gewirtz worked with WWE at the time, and he has recalled a argument he had with Vince McMahon shortly after the change to PG.
Speaking to the Masked Man Show, Gewirtz recalled writing the word ‘damn’ into a promo, before Vince told him that they weren’t allowed to say that now they were PG.
“It said PG era, but really it was the G era. I remember getting into an argument with him [Vince McMahon] … I had someone write, ‘I don’t even give a damn,’ and he says, ‘God, you can’t say damn, we’re PG,’ and I’m like, ‘Yes, that’s my argument, too. We are PG, that’s why it’s not something else.'”
Gewirtz then noted that Ron Simmons, who was on WWE television at the time, literally wore a shirt and only said the word ‘Damn’, but Vince believed that to be an exception.
“But we literally have a character who only says ‘Damn!’ and his t-shirt that says ‘Damn!’ on the exact same show. He’s [McMahon] like, ‘Oh that’s different, that’s his thing.'”
transcription via Wrestling Inc.
Think you know the most about wrestling? Join our Wrestle League predictions competition for free, and be in with the chance of winning $250 of Amazon vouchers. Make sure you subscribe to email notifications to make sure you never miss a show.
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- WWE Star Claims He Was Released Due To ‘Backstage Political Power Play’
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- Cody Rhodes Next WWE Feud Revealed?
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE
- Big Update On Becky Lynch’s NXT Future