WWE often gets flack for their scripted promos. Many people have pointed out that the control over what wrestlers say limits their ability to get over and be creative. However, scripted promos also have their defenders, such as WWE producer Shane Helms.
Helms recently spoke with Back Sports Page where he was asked about WWE’s scripted promos. In his response, Helms said they are important as some wrestlers aren’t as creative as they think they are. Here is the quote, courtesy of Wrestling Inc.:
“I think it’s very important, but the flip side is that some wrestlers aren’t creative and they think they are, and therein lies your problem. You always hear this conversation about scripted promos, like there’s this, you know, really kind of like thought processes. Great. And the problem if he has it or not… everybody’s not good at doing promos. You guys have been to indie shows and you’ve seen some of these promos, Jesus Christ! That was terrible, you know? And even in WWE and a couple of live events, we will let the people down.
I just go into and cut a little promo and give them that free reign. And it was like, Jesus Christ! I was frightened, so not everybody’s good at it. And you got to experiment with these talents to figure out which ones are good, which ones can you give bullet points and they can go and make it their own and make it better because there are people that can do that, but not everyone can.”
While Helms believes scripted promos have their place in wrestling, a number of former WWE stars have disagreed. Jon Moxley famously criticized WWE’s scripting process in his Talk is Jericho appearance last year.
- AEW Rampage Live Results – May 27, 2022
- NJPW Officially Addresses ‘Severe Disagreement’ With Kota Ibushi
- Tony Khan Takes Shots At WWE Changing Money In The Bank Location
- Which Stars WWE Meant When Claiming Sasha Banks & Naomi Didn’t Want To Work With Them
- WWE SmackDown Live Results – May 27, 2022
- Brandi Rhodes Spotted Backstage At WWE SmackDown
- Scrapped Idea For Matt Hardy To Lead An NXT Faction
- Kevin Owens Announced For Tonight’s SmackDown
- Update On Vince McMahon’s Plans For Max Dupri On WWE Main Roster
- WWE Clash At The Castle To Do Largest Non-WrestleMania Gate In Pro-Wrestling History