Former NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion Nick Aldis has commented on the evolution of the UK wrestling scene.
Aldis began his wrestling career on the independent scene in England in 2004, before eventually signing with TNA (IMPACT) in the US in 2008. The star is currently signed to NWA, but occasionally made wrestling appearances in the UK before the pandemic.
Speaking exclusively with Sanchez Taylor for WrestleTalk.com, Aldis explained what has changed since he was a regular performer in the UK scene:
“I want to qualify this by saying I’m not necessarily the best person to ask because I haven’t been around (in the UK) for a decade, but I think what I always take pride in is that our generation, and even the guys that came a little bit before me, like Drew (McIntyre) and Sheamus and Stu (Wade Barrett) and those guys, and my generation of guys – myself, Will Ospreay, Sha (Samuels), and I’m missing tons of names.
“But I think we all… we changed the perception of British wrestling in the sense that I remember the prevailing mentality being that, well, you won’t go to America. There’s only space for one British guy at a time, it’s like you have a token British guy and they’ve got Regal so that’s it. And I never believed that.
“I think we’re lucky that so many other guys from my generation didn’t believe that either, and didn’t put that limiting belief on themselves of like, ‘Well this is it, you just have to work the circuit here and be happy with it’. I was always like, ‘No, I wanna take this as far as I can take it, and there’s no reason why I can’t do it compared to anyone else, American or otherwise’.”
If you use these exclusive quotes, or any portion of them, please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
Aldis was recently announced for 1PW’s return show in October, along with his former British Invasion tag partner Doug Williams.
The NWA star also indicated that he plans to update his presentation later this year, which you can read more about right here.
Keep an eye on our exclusives page for more quotes from this Nick Aldis interview.
You can listen to the interview below:
- Former WWE Wrestler Corroborates Rita Chatterton’s Rape Allegation Against Vince McMahon
- WWE Raw Live Results – June 27, 2022
- Chris Jericho, Bryan Danielson & Paul Wight Appear On WWE Raw
- What Happened After AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Went Off Air?
- Stipulation Added To Kevin Owens WWE Raw Match
- WWE Star Aliyah Dealing With An Injury
- John Cena Granted Make-A-Wish Foundation Wishes Before WWE Raw
- Backstage Update On Ronda Rousey & Natalya WWE SmackDown Segment
- Backstage Reaction To Upcoming John Cena WWE Return
- Kazuchika Okada Reveals Hope For Japanese Crowds Following Forbidden Door