Good news AEW fans – it seems the much-discussed potential television deal with WarnerMedia is going to happen! A report on TheWrap says that someone with knowledge of the deal says it is “virtually done” and that details of the partnership will be announced one hour prior to the Turner upfronts.
Ironically enough, the upfronts are taking place at WWE’s spiritual home Madison Square Garden, with the Turner event kicking off at 10am ET next Wednesday, May 15.
AEW boss Tony Khan and several representatives from AEW (presumably EVP’s The Young Bucks, Cody and Kenny Omega) are expected to be in attendance to announce the news. Almost certainly that will include information about which station (TNT or TBS) the show will broadcast on, the name of the show, the night it will air and the time slot.
TheWrap report says that financial details of the deal are not expected to be disclosed – as AEW, unlike WWE, is not a publicly traded company so does not have to reveal such information.
Representatives from both AEW and Turner have declined to comment on the news, which is a pretty good indicator that a deal is done and they are simply waiting to confirm it on their own terms.
It has been a big week for AEW with regards to television, having yesterday announced a major deal in the UK with national broadcasting powerhouses ITV to air Double Or Nothing on ITV Box Office and a free live pre-show on ITV4.
WrestleTalk Almanac Vol. 2, the ultimate must-have guide to wrestling in 2018 is available for pre-order NOW:
- Major WWE Faction Potentially Splitting Up Soon
- ‘Lots Of Praise’ For WWE Star’s Performance On Raw
- Ex-WWE Name Ruled Out Of Joining AEW
- Top WWE Star Suffering Recurring Injury
- ‘Forbidden Door’ Match Announced For AEW Dynamite
- WWE Management ‘Happy’ With NXT Call-Ups’ Main Roster Debut
- Brock Lesnar Could Break Surprising WWE Record
- Major AEW Star ‘Bewildered’ He Could Walk Away After Recent Match
- Bryan Danielson & Kazuchika Okada React To Forbidden Door 2023 Match
- WWE SmackDown Segment’s Staggering Numbers Smash Social Media Records