Josh Alexander has explained why he chose to sign a new deal with IMPACT Wrestling, instead of joining AEW.
Alexander became a free agent in February, after his IMPACT contract expired. The former IMPACT World Champion signed a new deal with the promotion less than three weeks later, returning to TV at Sacrifice.
Speaking on the Battleground Podcast, Alexander stated that he never intended to leave IMPACT:
“It was an easy decision for me. Right now I think the one thing that’s changed in the pro wrestling landscape, especially for like free agents and professional wrestlers, is regardless of whatever you have to offer, you have to be in the top 10% to have a job now in one of those sustainable positions at any of these companies, IMPACT included.
“Because as you’ve seen with AEW signing up everybody that they can and all this other stuff, it’s just like, the waters are kind of picked dry a little bit, and whoever’s left is kind of fighting for whatever’s left.
“The thing that made my decision so much easier is I never planned on leaving.”
Recalling AEW telling him they weren’t interested in him as a singles star before originally signing with IMPACT in 2019, Alexander said:
“IMPACT gave me an opportunity when no other company would. I was in contact with the people at AEW before IMPACT ever considered signing me and they had told me that they were not interested in me as a singles wrestler. IMPACT then came along and signed me, and before The North ever came to be, they were preparing to push me as a singles talent when I debuted.”
“I did vignettes and I did video stuff that was never aired as me being a singles person, and then when I showed up on my first day of work, they said, ‘We’re going to put you in a tag team with Ethan Page.’”
Alexander is slated to challenge for Moose’s IMPACT World Championship at this weekend’s Rebellion pay-per-view.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Major Star In Los Angeles Amid WrestleMania 39 Return Rumors
- Randy Orton In-Ring Return Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Report: AEW Star Suffers Broken Leg After Crazy Ladder Spot
- New Latino World Order Debuts On SmackDown
- Top WWE Star Nearing End Of Contract, Has Not Agreed To New Deal
- Bobby Lashley Issues Open Challenge For WrestleMania 39
- Big Update On Uncle Howdy Status For WrestleMania 39 Weekend
- Leaked Footage Of Top WWE Star WrestleMania 39 Entrance Rehearsal Revealed
- What Dominik Mysterio Did During Rey Mysterio Hall Of Fame Speech
- Commentators For WWE WrestleMania 39 Confirmed