The PROGRESS World Champion was stripped during today’s Chapter 134: No Mountain High Enough event in London.
The main event of the show saw Jonathan Gresham stripped of his PROGRESS World Championship per a pre-match stipulation after a disqualification to Gene Munny due to outside interference from Lykos Gym.
Munny went on to defeat Kid Lykos to qualify for the Super Strong Style 16 Tournament.
PROGRESS released the following statement about the World Title being stripped:
Sunday 15th, May (London, England): PROGRESS Chapter 134: ‘No Mountain High Enough’ took place today at The Electric Ballroom in London and ended with the PROGRESS Wrestling World Championship being declared vacant as well as the fulfillment of one of the longest-held desires of the PROGRESS hardcore fanbase.
This surprising turn of events came as a result of the main event match between PROGRESS World Champion Jonathan Gresham and fan favourite, Gene Munny.
The stipulation of the match would see Munny qualify for June’s Super Strong Style 16 tournament if he were to defeat Gresham, with both men having not suffered a loss in PROGRESS in 2022.
Before the match, Gresham’s long-time allies, Lykos Gym, attacked Munny, leading to management inserting a stipulation that if Gresham was disqualified he would be stripped of the PROGRESS Championship.
Shockingly, not only did the Lykos pair attack Munny again later in the match, leading to the disqualification, they also did it in deliberate view of the referee, ensuring that Gresham was to lose the title he won from Cara Noir in March.
After Lykos revealed their deception was long in the planning, Munny demanded a match with one of the Wolves, not being satisfied with a place in the tournament unless he got a clean pinfall victory. Just minutes later, he got it, pinning Kid Lykos One’s shoulders for the 1-2-3.
Whilst this unexpected ending sees PROGRESS with a vacant world championship for only the third time in the title’s ten-year history, it also sees Gene Munny finally fulfil his long-stated ambition of being entered into Super Strong Style 16, which takes place in London over three nights, 3rd-5th June.
Whilst fans will rejoice at Munny being part of said tournament, they will be keen to hear from PROGRESS management in the coming days what this means for the immediate future of the championship.
Tickets for Super Strong Style 16 and other future PROGRESS events can be purchased now from www.progresswrestling.com/tickets
Here are the full results from the No Mountain High Enough event:
- Alexxis Falcon def Skye Smitson – tables
- Ricky Knight Jr def Leon Slater via pinfall
- Rebel Creed def Max The Impaler via pinfall
- Cara Noir vs Spike Trivet ended with a double dq After a huge brawl, Spike challenged Cara to an I Quit Loser Leaves PROGRESS bout
- Maggot def Jurn Simmons, Bobby Guns and Axel Tischer to qualify for Super Strong Style 16 tournament
- Luke Jacobs def Roy Johnson via pinfall – PROGRESS Atlas Championship After the match, Axel Tischer confronted Jacobs, issues challenge for title match for Super Strong Style Weekend
- Sunshine Machine vs Smokin Aces ended via double pin draw. The match was given five more minutes, and went to time limit draw – PROGRESS Tag Team Championship #1 Contenders
After the match, a three-way ladder match was proposed for Super Strong Style Weekend
- Gene Munny def Jonathan Gresham via DQ following Lykos Gym interference – per the stipulation, Gresham has been stripped of the PROGRESS World Championship
- Gene Munny def. Kid Lykos via pinfall to secure place in Super Strong Style 16 tournament
Importantly, though, GENE MUNNY DID IT!
Indisputably, unequivocally, FINALLY, That Damn Dirty Dog is in #SSS16 on 3rd-5th June at the Ballroom.
— PROGRESS Wrestling (@ThisIs_Progress) May 15, 2022
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Trick Williams Breaks Silence After Title Loss To Dominik Mysterio
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Rhea Ripley Reacts To Dominik Mysterio Winning Back The NXT North American Championship
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Reveals WWE Backstage Reaction To AEW Switch
- Recent WWE Surprise Was A ‘Late Creative Decision’
- VIDEO: Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) Immediate Backstage Reaction To AEW Debut
- SmackDown Star Shares Cryptic Message Amid WWE Absence
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Pitches For Major First-Time Ever Dream Match
- John Cena Opens Up On Relationship With The Rock Following SmackDown Interaction