Stone Cold Steve Austin made his triumphant return to Raw last night and cut a typically wonderful promo about how great everything is and how great it is to be Steve Austin.
Almost every single thing you see on WWE TV is scripted to make sure nothing is said that could damage the company’s rep, and to help the stars get their points across.
However, given that this is Steve Austin, one of the greatest promos in history, it should probably come as no surprise to hear that he didn’t use a script at all last night.
Speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said:
“Steve Austin was great. He made the segment, but again, I don’t think Steve Austin was reading from a script either, I’m almost certain he wasn’t. You know, so yeah you can’t say enough for him. You know there’s a reason he was the big star that he was and the business is kinda lacking of someone with the ability to carry a live crowd like that.”
To be honest, I think Austin could walk out there, fart into the microphone, tell everyone to go home and they would still give the biggest cheer and pop of the night.
WWE seems to be allowing its stars a bit more creative freedom in promos of late, as it was reported last week that several promos from Raw were largely unscripted.
- Paul Heyman’s Intriguing Reaction After Jimmy Uso Accidentally Costs Jey Uso Championship Match
- Another New WWE Championship Design Revealed & Big Return On SmackDown
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- Another WWE Championship Unification Match Announced
- Update On WWE Women’s Title Situation Ahead Of June 9 SmackDown
- KENTA Responds To Alternate Dream Match For CM Punk At Forbidden Door
- NXT Stars Interfere In Big Match On SmackDown
- Popular AEW Star Sidelined With Neck Injury
- New IMPACT World Champion Crowned
- First WWE Stars To Pin Roman Reigns Have Interesting Connections To The Tribal Chief