Paul Heyman has commented on the difference between WWE’s current recruitment strategy, and the company’s previous hiring process.
In summer 2022, WWE’s recruitment focus moved away from independent wrestlers, with the company instead opting to sign athletes with little wrestling experience and training them up at the Performance Center.
Speaking with Bleacher Report, Paul Heyman has argued that today’s recruits only see WWE as one option, stating:
“There’s a difference right now in that today’s recruits are those who see this as an option, not an obsession. These aren’t people living and dying and breathing and hoping and praying that all of their dreams since they were five years old can come true or come crashing down around them by the decision that’s made.
“This guy might say, ‘Oh, if this doesn’t work out, I’ll go play Canadian football,’ or, ‘I’ll go play basketball in Europe. My thing is, I’m going to ask you a lot of questions you better not have the answer to, because if you do, you’re in the wrong class because this is for people that don’t have the prior knowledge.”
Sharing his thoughts on what he saw at the tryout, Heyman said:
“There are plenty of people I saw today that are qualified. Are they going to main-event WrestleMania? There’s a few people I can see that happening with, but not everyone, and I’m very excited about working with them in the future. But not all of them.
“If you’re not going to main-event WrestleMania, are you a disruptor? Are you someone who’s going to change the industry? Are you someone who’s going to give us a vision that we don’t have? Someone who’s 20 better not look at this industry the same way I do.”
Triple H now runs WWE creative, so it is possible that WWE’s recruitment strategy will change.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- WWE Breaks 23-Year Award Losing Streak
- WWE Star Arrives In Wrong Country For Major Show
- Roman Reigns Bloodline Member Trying To Join WWE
- WWE Star Set For First Match In Nine Months
- AEW Star Announces Real-Life Brother Joining The Company
- Former WWE Champion Still Hasn’t Re-Signed Despite Major Creative Plans
- CM Punk Sends Emotional Message To WWE Fans Ahead Of Elimination Chamber 2024
- WWE Star Retires Move After Recent Terrifying Botch
- The Rock’s Next WWE Appearance Revealed
- AEW Creative Team Update Following Sasha Banks/Mercedes Mone Signing