Earlier this year, both Mike and Maria Kanellis re-signed with WWE for five years, despite some indications that they were both keen on leaving.
Just a few months on from re-signing, Mike did request his release, but this is yet to be granted.
There were rumours shortly after the couple re-signed that there was a lot of backstage heat on them after the announced that Maria was pregnant just after they re-signed, which meant she wouldn’t be able to perform or compete for over a year.
As Mike and Maria are generally used as a double act, it also made booking Mike a problem for WWE’s writers.
Speaking to Busted Open Radio, former WWE star Bubba Ray Dudley (Bully Ray) claimed that he had heard rumours that Mike and Maria had misled WWE during contract negotiations.
“I heard rumors, and not internet rumors and dirt sheet rumors. I’ve heard talk of some scuttlebutt amongst the boys that Mike and Maria might have misled the WWE when their new contracts were signed. I don’t know this for a fact but I’m saying maybe the WWE didn’t want to release them because I want to keep them [and get] their money’s worth out of them.”
WWE did release four stars this past weekend, and it is thought that Mike could also be on his way out if WWE decides to release more stars in the coming weeks and months.
- Rhea Ripley & Dominik Mysterio Respond To Being Namedropped At AEW Double Or Nothing
- Injury Update After AEW Anarchy In The Arena Match At Double Or Nothing
- PHOTO: CM Punk Spotted With AEW Star After Double Or Nothing
- Jade Cargill Breaks Silence After AEW Double Or Nothing 2023 Loss
- Backstage Praise For AEW Star At Double Or Nothing
- Hilarious Moment From AEW Double Or Nothing 2023 You Probably Missed
- First Participants For 2023 WWE Money In The Bank Ladder Match Revealed
- Two NXT Stars Reportedly Backstage At May 29 WWE Raw
- NXT Stars Debut On WWE Raw
- Spoiler For WWE Star Returning From Injury On Raw?