AEW star William Regal has called a WWE star the perfect heavyweight lion.
Earlier this year, Regal was released from WWE after spending many years in NXT and spending time with a number of competitors who have came through the brand.
During the final years of Regal’s time in WWE, Gunther reigned over NXT UK as their champion for 870 days before moving to the United States.
Speaking on the latest Gentleman Villain podcast, Regal discussed Gunther’s success and how he perfectly understands his role.
“He knows what he is and he sticks to what he does best. He doesn’t expose anything that he doesn’t know. He knows exactly what to do that’s got him to where he got to. He had a long time to figure it out.”
The AEW star continued on to explain learning from one of his mentors, Terry Rudge, that all professional wrestlers can be separated into groups of big cats, saying:
“I remember him having a tryout and he hadn’t figured himself out at the time. once he figured it out — WALTER, now Gunther, he is the perfect heavyweight lion. A person that was a huge influence on my wrestling style, and in helping me, was my favorite wrestler to wrestle. I mentioned his name on there before called Terry Rudge. Terry Rudge taught me in my early 20s a lot of things about the way I wrestled and the way he thought — he had ideas about how wrestling should be. Terry taught me that all wrestlers should wrestle like a big cat. Lightweights should be like a cheetah, middleweights should be like a puma, and light heavyweights should be like a tiger or a panther. Heavyweights should wrestle like either a lion, a tiger, or a cross between the two. If you think of the way a wrestler moves, the way he attacks, and the way — if you’re a good wrestler, it makes perfect sense.”
William Regal further explained how Gunther has adopted this mindset to become the perfect heavyweight lion, saying:
“Well Gunther, as you say, has perfected being a perfect lion. He knows exactly how to be a lion… If you just think about the way a lion is, It’ll just stalk, prowl up and down, will swat if it has to, and when it has to sprint, it spreads and it kills, and if you look at him like that, you know, he’s figured out his perfect role. How to be a perfect lion. That’s what a really good heavyweight should be.”
Gunther now reigns as the WWE Intercontinental Champion after defeating Ricochet on the June 10 edition of SmackDown.
For the complete title history for all the championships in WWE, click here.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Hall Of Famer Reacts To Trinity Fatu Tribute At IMPACT Under Siege 2023
- Big Update On WWE World Heavyweight Championship Lineage After Seth Rollins’ Win
- Cody Rhodes Shares Message Ahead Of Brock Lesnar Match At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Paul Heyman Breaks Silence After Jimmy Uso Bloodline Betrayal
- Roman Reigns Shares Final Message Before WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- VIDEO: Jimmy Uso Turns On Roman Reigns, Jey Uso Reacts
- Ex-NXT Star Helps Trish Stratus Beat Becky Lynch At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- AEW Star Opens Up About Fears That He’d Be Forced To Retire
- WWE Crowns New World Heavyweight Champion At Night Of Champions
- Top WWE Women’s Division Star Responds To Asuka Title Win At Night Of Champions 2023