On tonight’s WWE Raw, one star picked up their first singles victory in over six years in a match against The Miz.
With The Miz continuing his feud from invading SmackDown to lurk LA Knight’s match, he had the favor returned on tonight’s Raw.
With The Miz announcing that he was having a singles match against Akira Tozawa tonight, the bout had already started when LA Knight appeared.
Joining Wade Barrett and Michael Cole on commentary, Knight seemed to thoroughly psych out the Miz who continued to fixate on him instead of his opponent during the match.
In the end it may have been the distraction that proved to be the tipping point for Akira Tozawa who was able to best the Miz and capture his first singles win on Raw (or SmackDown, but he’s only ever been in two battle royals on SmackDown) in over six years.
The last time Tozawa won a singles match on Raw was when he beat Neville (now AEW’s Pac) for the Cruiserweight Championship on August 14, 2017 – Tozawa actually only held the title for six days before Neville won it back at SummerSlam.
This statistic of course doesn’t include any 24/7 Championship tomfoolery, and it’s worth mentioning that Tozawa did pick up a win in a round of a gauntlet match in December 2019 over R-Truth, but lost in the next round of that gauntlet to Ricochet.
It’s turned out to be quite the night for stats, as Gunther suffered his first WWE main roster singles loss tonight too, albeit by countout, so even though Chad Gable technically won the match – and is the first person to beat Gunther in a singles match since his main roster debut in April 2022 – the Austrian is still Intercontinental Champion.
Elsewhere on tonight’s WWE Raw, two more Championship bouts were made official for the upcoming premium live event, WWE Payback.
Think you know the most about wrestling? Join our Wrestle League predictions competition for free, and be in with the chance of winning $250 of Amazon vouchers. Make sure you subscribe to email notifications to make sure you never miss a show.
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- WWE Star Claims He Was Released Due To ‘Backstage Political Power Play’
- Cody Rhodes Next WWE Feud Revealed?
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE
- Big Update On Becky Lynch’s NXT Future
- Championship Matches Added To AEW WrestleDream 2023
- Last Minute Change To AEW Collision