John Cena Opens Up On When He Decided To Retire From WWE: ‘I Love Data, When These Numbers Start To Go Down, You Ask Why’

Published: 1 hour ago by Connel Rumsey | Last Updated: 1 hour ago by Connel Rumsey

Connel has over five years of wrestling journalism experience writing about some of the biggest stories from across the wrestling world. Being a fan for 20 years, Connel has an expansive knowledge from a wide range of various wrestling promotions, including WWE, AEW, NJPW, TNA and Joshi.
@connel1405

John Cena has opened up on the moment he decided to retire from WWE prior to his retirement tour last year.

Back at WWE Money In The Bank in 2024, John Cena made a surprise appearance on the show, where he announced his WWE retirement in 2025, complete with a retirement tour.

Cena’s last match took place at Saturday Night’s Main Event on December 13, where he lost his final match to Gunther after tapping out in his sleeper hold.

John Cena Says ‘Data’ Led To Him Deciding To Retire From WWE

Speaking to Sports Illustrated, Cena opened up on his decision to announce his WWE retirement, and how it came after he saw his strength numbers decline.

He said:

ADVERTISEMENT

“As much as I love feel and I love passion, I also love data. I’m a strength athlete, so I consistently test one-rep max. I test vertical jump, all of these metrics — whatever they tested at the combine.

“When these numbers start to go down, you look at it like, ‘Okay, why? I’m getting plenty of rest. I’m training on a regular schedule. I’m not eating like garbage. I’m hydrated. My caffeine intake is monitored. All the data lines up. You should be strong.’ And then you look at the age graphic, and you’re like, ‘Oh, man.’

“The game just looks too fast for me, because it is. I could change my style at the risk of ruining that energy that WWE invested in me. And that’s tough, because from an ego standpoint, you’ve got to step away from the audience. I love it. It’s great, but that’s not respectful to the fans and it’s not respectful to the company.”

ADVERTISEMENT

John Cena Classic Coming To WWE Television

John Cena made his latest WWE television appearance at the Backlash event, where he announced the John Cena Classic.

Cena said that the John Cena Classic would see stars from WWE’s main roster face off against stars from NXT, with the winner being crowned the first John Cena Classic Champion.

The winner of the tournament will be determined by a fan vote, with superstars not even needing to win their match to be voted the winner of the John Cena Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT

The tournament will be a good way to showcase some of the current NXT stars, such as Tatum Paxley, Kendal Grey and Mason Rook.

To make sure you stay up to date with all the biggest wrestling and WrestleTalk news, follow us on Threads by clicking this link!

Trending

Get the latest wrestling news straight to your inbox

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from WrestleTalk