Night one of the WWE UK Championship Tournament – held at the Royal Albert Hall in London on June 18 to determine a challenger to WWE UK Champion Pete Dunne – saw some fantastic in-ring action and as far as this writer is concerned, absolutely the right man won.
The show began with a nice video package where WWE UK General Manager Johnny Saint reminisced on his days competing in the Royal Albert Hall during the ‘World of Sport’ era and gave a rub to the new generation of British wrestlers. This included highlights of Tyler Bate’s win in the inaugural WWE UK Championship Tournament in January 2017, and Pete Dunne winning the title off him.
The commentators were Mauro Ranallo and Nigel McGuinness. Mauro made numerous attempts throughout the night to reference British culture, with mixed success. Perhaps the best one was him opening the broadcast with “Cheerio from the crown jewel of concert halls!”
Erm, cheerio means goodbye, Mauro.
Ah well, at least after that faux pas he got a friendly MAMMA MIA! chant from the British fans.
- AEW Rampage Live Results – May 27, 2022
- WWE SmackDown Live Results – May 27, 2022
- Scorpio Sky Reveals New TNT Championship Belt On AEW Rampage
- Gangrel Makes Hilarious Surprise Appearance On AEW Rampage
- Tay Conti Shares Terrifying Threats She & Sammy Guevara Have Received
- Former NXT Star Taylor Rust Makes AEW Debut
- Pitch To Unify Even More WWE Championships
- Tony Khan Reveals Why There’s No ‘Blood & Guts’ Match At Double Or Nothing
- Brian Cage Backstage At AEW Dynamite This Week
- Charlotte Flair Marries Andrade El Idolo