Paul Heyman Opens Up About Brock Lesnar’s WWE Retirement

Published: 28 minutes ago by Dave Adamson | Last Updated: 2 seconds ago by Dave Adamson

Dave has been a website writer for WrestleTalk since October 2022, having previously written for Den of Geek, among a number of wrestling, movie and television-related sites. Dave has been around the independent wrestling scene for more than a decade, including behind-the-scenes.

Paul Heyman has opened up about the moment he knew that Brock Lesnar would be retiring at WWE SummerSlam 2026.

Competing in a Hell in a Cell match at SummerSlam in the main event of Night 1, Brock Lesnar would end his WWE career with a loss to Oba Femi.

The moment came after it appeared that Lesnar had retired at WrestleMania 42 in April, leaving his gloves and boots in the ring after suffering a loss to Femi, only to make a return ahead of Clash in Italy, with the two squaring off again.

With SummerSlam seeing the rivalry go 2-1 in Femi’s favor, Paul Heyman would discuss the decision for Lesnar to retire during a recent appearance on Six Feet Under, saying:

“I’m accepting of the reality of the situation. You know, when you first break in, so many of the veterans would tell you “be accepting of it, don’t fight against what the reality of the situation is.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s the same as if someone comes to you today and says “we have this so perfectly built for you at WrestleMania”, you’re going to shut it down immediately, because you’ve accepted the fact that this is what you are doing now, that is what you were doing then.

“Brock has always been a realist about himself, and it’s time, and to him… I hear this every year from him: “No, this is my last contract, this is it”, and he meant it when he said it. And, as we got closer, he would then change his mind, or it didn’t take a lot to talk him into it, but I knew that this was it, and because he knew that this was it, he wasn’t just saying it because he felt it in the moment; this decision was fait accompli.”

If you use this transcription or any portion of it, please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lesnar ended his WWE career as a seven-time WWE Champion and three-time Universal Champion.

Four Old School WWE Stars Retire

It’s been quite the twelve months when it comes to old school WWE stars retiring, with Lesnar being the most recent to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

The year started off with AJ Styles calling time on his WWE career, retiring at the Royal Rumble after a loss to GUNTHER, being inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of the Class of 2026.

December of last year saw John Cena retire at Saturday Night’s Main Event, tapping out to GUNTHER, to bring an end to his retirement tour of 2025.

Both stars remain under WWE contract, with Styles serving in a backstage capacity and Cena involved in a number of projects, including the John Cena Classic.

Also retiring last year was Goldberg, with that loss coming at the hands of the WWE World Heavyweight Champion GUNTHER on the July 12 edition of Saturday Night’s Main Event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lesnar star previously stated that he “still had some fuel in the tank” before confirming that SummerSlam was the end of his in-ring career. While it remains to be seen whether he could be enticed to partake in an exhibition match at some point down the line, a WWE Hall of Fame induction is no doubt in his future.

If you use this transcription or any portion of it, please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.

To make sure you stay up to date with all the biggest wrestling and WrestleTalk news, follow us on Threads by clicking this link!

Trending

Get the latest wrestling news straight to your inbox

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from WrestleTalk