AEW Star Returns After Surgery, Teases Match In Another Company

Published: 3 minutes ago by Dave Adamson | Last Updated: 2 seconds ago by Dave Adamson

Dave has been a website writer for WrestleTalk since October 2022, having previously written for Den of Geek, among a number of wrestling, movie and television-related sites. Dave has been around the independent wrestling scene for more than a decade, including behind-the-scenes.

An AEW star has returned after undergoing surgery earlier this year, teasing a championship match in another company.

Last seen in a World Trios Championship match on the March 18 episode of AEW Collision this year, Josh Alexander has since revealed he would be undergoing knee surgery in a post on Twitter, with no timetable set for an in-ring return.

It appears that return to action, however, is shortly to be upon us, with Alexander returning at Maple Leaf Pro Wrestling, wearing the MLP Canadian Championship and stepping up to Interim Champion Stu Grayson.

That moment took place at MLP Mayhem, with the footage shared on the official Maple Pro Wrestling Twitter account, confirming that Alexander is back.

Words would not be exchanged between Grayson and Alexander, although they would hold their respective titles up to each other, indicating that a match will be in their near future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing was said as to when the match would take place, although Maple Leaf Pro Wrestling does have Northern Rising on October 3 in Toronto.

It also isn’t clear whether, at the time of writing, Alexander is cleared for an in-ring return or when he will next appear in AEW.

Alexander debuted in AEW back in April of last year at Spring BreakThru and is a member of the Don Callis Family.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Long Way Round

Josh Alexander reached out to the Young Bucks before the inception of AEW to see if there was any interest in his services, only to be met with a “not right now” in response.

Missing an opportunity to be signed by a newly founded company may have been disheartening, but that didn’t stop Alexander finding success in TNA Wrestling, with that offer coming after the AEW rejection.

ADVERTISEMENT

AEW would come calling eventually, however, with Alexander making his debut in the April 2025 Owen Hart Cup.

Speaking after that debut, JBL would state that he had hoped Alexander would sign with WWE, having been “blown away” by the star due to his innovate in-ring work.

With his TNA Wrestling tenure having come to an end after six years back in February 2025, he wouldn’t benefit from the partnership with WWE that was formalized the month before, having run throughout 2024.

As it stands, fans of Alexander can only speculate how he would have fared with his style in WWE, although there’s something to be said for the idea of the Walking Weapon making his way through NXT to the main roster, leaving a little but destruction in his wake.

ADVERTISEMENT

To make sure you stay up to date with all the biggest wrestling and WrestleTalk news, follow us on Threads by clicking this link!

Trending

Get the latest wrestling news straight to your inbox

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from WrestleTalk